Monday, August 31, 2009

Footprints in the Sand

Footprints in the Sand has been seen in print by people around the world over since the late 1940's. All that time no author has been credited with this immortal work, only 'Author Anonymous' has appeared at the bottom. Then I found in a website that the original author of this poem was Mary Stevenson. I really like this poem because it is so touching and inspiring me when I'm down and feeling blue and having many huge problems in my life, then after remembering this, I will feel better.

Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from anguish,
sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most tiring periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,
"The times when you have seen
only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you."

Mary Stevenson


Urbana,
February 5th, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment