Monday, August 31, 2009

UIUC

One day, my friend who is studying in Australia texted me,"Frida, are you studying in the U.S.? I saw your pictures on your Facebook and I wonder why all of your friends are Chinese..."

At that moment, I didn't know why....It's true that most of my friends are Chinese. In my program, Master of Science in Policy Economics (MSPE) in University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), there are 45 graduate students, all of us are international students; 13 Chinese (29%), 10 Korean (22%), 7 Turkish (18%), 6 Taiwanese (13%), 2 Indonesian (4%), and the rest are 1 from Italy, 1 from Peru, 1 from Thailand, 1 from Dominican Republic, 1 from Tanzania, 1 from Iran, and 1 from Afghanistan.

Yesterday, when we went to the World Bank and heard the presentation, the presenter gave us an information that 3 countries that sent the largest number of people to study in the U.S. are India, China and Korea!
No wonder why most of my friends are Chinese! :)
That's why UIUC stands for University for Indian and University for Chinese....:)

PS: If I am not mistaken, most Indian are studying in Engineering Science, and most Chinese are studying in Social Science.


Urbana,
March 26th, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment